Lately I dabbled in the AIP Paleo diet, after learning that most cases of hypothyroidism are probably Hashimoto’s (an autoimmune condition of the thyroid). That, and I’ve just had a nagging gut feeling that there’s a food I’m missing on my road to recovery.
If you’re wondering what AIP Paleo is, well it’s a Paleo diet but just missing a few things. AIP Paleo eliminates eggs, nuts, seeds, nightshades, and alcohol in addition to gluten, dairy, sugar, legumes, and grains that a Paleo diet cuts out. It may seem super strict, but there’s lots of creative bloggers out there coming up with really yummy alternatives. Actually in most cases the alternative is even better!
Anywhoo, when I went AIP Paleo, I had to adjust my Basic Noatmeal recipe since it contains nuts and seeds. I can’t be without Noatmeal!!! I was pleasantly surprised to find that it pretty much tastes like the original! Yay!!
I hope you like my AIP Coconutty Noatmeal…it’s yummy, filling and really fast to whip up!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp alcohol and sugar free vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tsp unsweetened shredded coconut, for topping (optional)
- Melt coconut oil in a small pot or bowl (if using microwave), 30 seconds.
- Stir in mashed banana, coconut flour, unsweetened shredded coconut, cinnamon (if using), and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, 5 minutes or until hot. Or microwave on High for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1-2 tbsp full-fat coconut, depending on how thick you like your Noatmeal.
- Stir in vanilla extract and top with unsweetened shredded coconut, if using. Enjoy!!